Welcome!

My name is Melissa and I am a single mother of two beautiful children.
I have a wonderful son who is 3 and a half and a daughter who is two. I am blogging my life as I learn to adjust my life from one step to another and trying to find a way to keep up with my artistic hobbies while doing it.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Dealing with the Cold and Flu season!

So at this wonderful time of year I find myself asking is the Flu shot worth it? Hubby and I got our flu shots in the spring when the H1N1 vaccine first came out because monkey was much too young to get it, but now he is old enough but I'm wondering if I should get his shot and if I need to get it again even though it hasn't been a full year. Monkey has his second horrible cold, I find myself using an endless supply of tissues and wipes to clean up the little booger face. Thankfully the Hyland's C-plus cold tablets are helping. Its nice to be able to find a homeopathic remedy for kids due to not only the fact that you can't find any cold medicine for kids under two, but also the fact that you shouldn't let your children become over dependent on using medicine for every tiny little thing. I know a few people who are quick to run to the medicine cabinet at the slightest sign of the sniffles, or ache and pain. I really do not want my son to be like that because then, like me he will end up being pretty much immune to their beneficial effects. I also plan on picking up some more oil of oregano for myself as a way to fight of cold and flu season. It has so many other uses too. You can kill infections in you teeth/ gums,and it works for infected cuts (even ingrown toenails). The one thing I wish I could have but know its not good for pregnant is chamomile tea. It would be nice to have some sleepy tea, but til then I will have to settle for a nice lavender milk bath.

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya! My in laws should be certified disease carriers. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that immune boosters are preferable to shots. Drinking echinacea tea, and giving some of it and vitamin C to your son when he shows signs of illness are really great starts! You are already on the homeopathic path, so just stick with that. And try to remember that flus/colds/illness are just normal parts of life, as he grows and goes through these sicknesses his immune system will build up the necessary anti-bodies and he will be sick less and less often. I know it is NO fun for you or him to go through them, but it IS just life. Hang in there hunny <3

    ReplyDelete